Thursday, October 2, 2008

What is Distance Learning?

We all know that we are a part of a School Library Media Specialist cohort through Clarion University and that our 100% online program is an excellent example of distance learning. What is exactly meant by distance learning? Take the poll question and let's see how many people have participated in learning via satellite, videoconference, or the worldwide web? (Simpson, 115).

2 comments:

Steph Herfel said...

Erin,

I like the topic you chose, and I voted "yes" to the question about whether we ever participated in distance learning before this class. I haven't thought about the official definition of "distance learning," but I was assuming that a webinar or audio conference could be considered "distance learning." I have attended a few of these and have found them both inexpensive and educational. Just last week I was fortunate to be able to attend a audio conference about fair use in a college or university setting. I will elaborate more about that in my own blog soon! If you meant "distance learning" to mean only working toward obtaining a degree of some sort on-line, I have never taken any courses on-line until now.

I am going to go to take a look at some other blogs but will definitely come back to yours since it is so relevant to what we are doing right now. Thanks!

Pam said...

Erin,
I have taken two distance learning courses prior to this. I have found that each institution sets the course up differently and it is sometimes difficult at first to figure out how to use it effectively.